The rich, whistling song of the Baltimore Oriole, echoing from treetops near homes and parks, is a sweet herald of spring in eastern North America. Look way up to find these singers: the male’s brilliant orange plumage blazes from high branches like a torch. Nearby, you might spot the female weaving her remarkable hanging nest from slender fibers. Fond of fruit and nectar as well as insects, Baltimore Orioles are easily lured to backyard feeders.
Coca-Cola was already America’s top-selling soft drink in 1928 when sales of bottled Coke finally outstripped soda fountain sales. In 1929, Glascock Brothers Manufacturing Co. of Muncie, Indiana, introduced Coke’s first vending machine, a 151-lb. ice box that held 72 6-ounce bottles. Each Coke sold for a 5 cents, payable to the clerk.
Two companies emerged in 1937 that distributed Cola-Cola machines. Vendo Company was originally based in Kansas City, Missouri, and the Vendorlator Manufacturing Company based in Fresno, California. At the outbreak of World War II, Coca-Cola pledged to provide all U.S. servicemen free Cokes. The U.S. government deemed soft drinks essential to troop morale. Vendo manufactured 5,000 machines for military bases and civilian factories. Vendo and Vendorlator merged in 1956.
Also known as the “Spin Top”, the Vendo 23 vended 23 bottles and pre-cooled 7. Introduced in 1949, it was a smaller cooler, made specifically to fit into smaller spaces. It was intended as an alternative to the bulkier upright vendors available at the time.
The VMC 72 is a considered a small machine to have dual bottle chutes. It may be the smallest ever made. Typically the dual chute design appeared only on the larger soda machines. The VMC 72 has a very large Coca-Cola logo that manufacturers believed would attract more customers.
The Cherry Parfait Rose was bred by Allain Meilland in France in 2000 and introduced in the United States by Conard-Pyle (Star Roses) in 2003 and in Australia by Treloar Roses Pty Ltd as Fire and Ice. Cherry Parfait is a lovely bi-coloured Grandiflora that has light yellow to white vermillion edges. Its bi-coloured blooms make a striking display in the garden, containing 35 to 40 petals and an average of 4” diameters. The bush is quick to repeat those white flowers, broadly edged in cherry red, making them great when used in a border, or combined with other perennials, or anywhere there is a need for constant color. The plant grows loose, and spreading, covering itself in blooms and produces a slight sweet fragrance.
This rose is excellent in all climates, it can used for bed and borders, container rose, garden or landscape, it is hardy and very disease resistant. For spring pruning, remove old canes and dead or diseased wood and cut back canes that cross. Cut back the remaining canes by about 1/3 in warmer climates and a little more than that in colder climates.
If you are looking for a striking rose to adorn your garden, the Cherry Parfait is an excellent choice. Not only is this bush a generous bloomer its colours hold out even through the heat of summer.
Portmeirion Pottery, a British pottery founded in 1960 by Susan William Ellis and her husband Euan Cooper Ellis, created the Botanic Garden china pattern. In 1970s, Susan and Euan visited an antiquarian bookshop in London and while browsing through 18th century engravings of sea creatures to decorate her pottery, the shop keeper showed her a book called The Universal Herbal published in 1817 by Thomas Green. The illustrations in the book were vibrant and full of color that it triggered an inspiration in Susan prompting her creative talents to kick in and allowing her to envision a wide range of tableware featuring different flowers on each piece.
On their way back, book in tow Susan continued to envision the next design line and had decided that this collection would be manufactured on a variation of Meridian shapes which has just recently designed. She continued to search for books with botanical motifs and came across the book “The Moral of Flowers” which contained poems and prose for 48 different plants from oaks to daisies. Susan sought the help of Mr. William Clarke, a highly regarded draughtsman and former employee of the Horticultural Society to illustrate those plants. Mr. Clarke’s illustrations were perfect for what Susan had envisioned that she purchased several more books that contain Mr. Clarke’s illustrations. Later on she decided to add butterflies and other insects to her designs to give it variety and to bring the range together she added the triple leaf border.
The design range is then named The Botanic Garden after an 18th century poem by Erasmus Darwin. Botanic Garden was officially launched in 1972 and has since then been loved worldwide, a serene and comforting presence amidst the increasing busyness of our everyday lives.